Sunday, August 16, 2009

Old dogs can remember

One of my charges, a lovely geriatric Boxer, was waiting for me last night in the driveway. He limped over as I collected the mail, and then we made our way to the front door. It was an amazing sight, and after I mixed up his food, and fed the fish, I sat for a while, hearing the clunk-clunk-clunk of his tongue smacking the sides of the big metal bowl, and wondered, why in the hell does this dog trust me?
The fish pretty much don't care. You check the water, add a pinch of food, and they are, like, totally cool, man. After all, we're fish. Not much we could do except flop about in a theatrical manner.

But Intertubes, this is what always amazes me. The dogs always seem to say "Dude! you're here!" and proceed to exhibit amounts of affection tantamount to folks coming home from a war.

Folks coming home from a war, you totally need to get a dog, and then avoid being near a dock or heavy machinery. And bring band-aids. Seriously.

If you can, adopt a dog or cat. Or both. It is completely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment